The project this week aims to provide opportunities for your child to learn more about sports and games. Learning may focus on the history of sport, sporting-heroes, physical challenges and performance.
● Sport Genius- Ask your child to research about sporting history and see how many different facts they can find out about sports from the past. Ask them to create their own sporting trivia quiz which they can test out on members of the household. Or place different sporting events from the last 100 years onto a timeline.
● Sporting Heroes- Get your child to select their favourite sporting star. Then they can draw a portrait of them in the style of the famous pop artist Roy Lichtenstein using felt tip pens or paint. Share their creation at #TheLearningProjects.
● Name that Sport - Get your child to create an orienteering map of your home/garden. At each location they will need to create a question relating to a sport e.g. Which sport has the most rules? The answers can then be recorded on an orienteering sheet. How about giving them a challenge? Can they create an answer that begins with the letter of the next location? Get your child to test it out on a family member.
● Beat It!- Begin by getting your child to measure their resting heart rate by counting how many beats in a minute. Then get them to carry out an exercise e.g. running, skipping, star jumps etc. for 3 minutes. Once they have completed this they are to carry out a recovery activity e.g. walking or sitting and see how long it takes for their heart rate to go back to normal. Ask them to repeat this with different recovery exercises to see which is the most effective at getting their heart rate back to normal the quickest. Can they create a way of showing their results?
● Anyone Can Be a Champion!- This activity is all about exploring the diversity of sport. Ask your child to research the history of the Paralympics . Discuss why we have the Paralympics. Get your child to create a poster which presents the importance of the Paralympics and the range of different sports there are